Home > Blog > Your Third Place Workspace?
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 10:26 AM
Your Third Place Workspace?
Kate Yandoh on Culture

coffeeillustration.jpg Where do you work when you're not in offices or at home - bookstores, coffee shops, hotel lobbies, or neighborhood hangouts? What are your third places, the ones with their own distinct feel, even if they happen to be part of a big chain?

We're looking for your picks, both for an upcoming article and as a resource to share with Worthwhile readers on the road, or just in search of a new place to work (or daydream, or simply hang out.)

I'll be standing by at kate@worthwhilemag.com, and I'd love to hear about your favorite. Here's mine:

Joe's Coffee, 510 Flat Shoals Avenue, Atlanta, GA, 30316
Nutshell: Unofficial neighborhood headquarters with a homey, laid-back feel (giant couches!) and an eclectic clientele. Located in East Atlanta Village, an area The Washington Post described as 'Atlanta's best kept secret.'
Wireless: Free
Food: Of the sweet, pastry variety
Soundtrack: Jazz and 40s in the morning, 80s after lunch
Insider Tip: Try for the 'chairman of the board desk,' perched on a platform and complete with plants and a personal lamp.

Don The Idea Guy - 4/17/2005 9:55:17 AM
More of a second-spacxe than a third --

Barnes & Noble
Polaris Shopping Ctr.
Columbus, OH.

They have a large Starbucks cafe with plenty of seating, and a complete selection of reference sits on the shelves around me.

Second choice? Either of the two Borders Books and Cafe locations in Columbus.

Soundtrack: Jazz Sax (thru my headphones)

Insider tip: Wait for your coffee to cool while browsing the stacks.

Note to self: Work out a commission deal on books I recommend to clients during my meetings...
Ethel - 3/8/2005 8:50:35 PM
Besides the bathroom? Boston Public Library. If it's good enough for John Adams, it's good enough for me.
maimas - 1/26/2005 4:39:42 PM
My car. I put over 30,000 miles on my car in a year. I have learned to operate a cell phone, PDA, and the car all at once. (BTW, In all that time, I have never gotten a ticket or been involved in a traffic incident.)

I love my car. It's a 2002 Nissan Altima. All I've done is change the oil every 3,000 miles, put on one set of tires, one set of brakes, and one tune-up.

Pretty good for a place where I spend 15% of my waking hours.
David McQueen - 1/24/2005 4:53:05 AM
Any coffee shop in London (UK) will do for me. Funnlily enough I havent got around to trusting wi-fi here yet though...so most of the work is offline
John - 1/23/2005 8:26:41 AM
Between office, home office, meeting with customers and the need to be somewhere, my car has become a pretty effective mobile office.
Usually, I keep it legal and safe. When I'm lucky, pulling up to a park with a fresh cup of coffee makes for a nice workplace.
Eric L - 1/21/2005 1:04:48 AM
i only work from 3rd spaces, which i guess makes them second spaces for me. my favorite is probably reverie cafe, cole x carl, san francisco, ca. the music is eclectic, but modern. the wifi is free. the food is affordable sandwiches and small plates. and the coffe is excellent
genevieve - 1/20/2005 5:08:39 AM
Retirement plan is me and a laptop in our State Library
(Victoria, Australia), writing the novel.Or whatever appeals most. I might just disappear like Dr. Casaubon of Eliot's Middlemarch.
anita - 1/19/2005 10:32:25 PM
Charlotte: No need to worry about security on subscriptions. All credit card information is taken on a secure server operated by authorize.net. Once the card information is taken, you come back to the Worthwhile Magazine server and the lock at the bottom disappears. But not to worry -- all of your sensitive card information remains on the secure authorize.net server. Thanks for your subscription!
Andertoons - 1/19/2005 9:33:26 PM
Schuamburg Township District Library
130 S Roselle Road
Schaumburg, IL

The second largest library in the state of Illinois. Nice Frank Lloyd Wright vibe about it.

The Wi-Fi is free (I think...)

You can bring covered beverages into the library, and there's a nice little coffee shop in the lobby.

Nice, quiet and surrounded by books what could be better?!
Karen Hoffman - 1/19/2005 8:39:22 PM
Although we have an office for City of Experts, I prefer to work from home, so my 'business home' away from my 'home business' is generally one of two places...

Spazio's Bistro on Lacklind at Craig in St. Louis, MO ( www.russosgourmet.com )or Picasso's Coffee House, in O'Fallon, MO,(www.picassoscoffeehouse.com ) a suburb of St. Louis and closer to my home... Spazio's is a casual restaurant, serves Starbucks coffee, and you can talk easy there.... stable tables... big enough to use your legal pad or computer to take notes on...have seen no indication of WIFI there though... Picasso's is a WIFI place and has custom crafted furniture with sayings carved in to them... a woodburning stove... Again, I like the table size... big enough for my Chai Latte AND my legal pad...I meet clients there frequently and have gone there to work on my book, away from home/office distractions...only a problem when grinding coffee... cannot always carry on conversations, but it IS a coffeehouse for goodness sakes! We have other coffee places of course, but the noise level and table size influence if I like to go there!
Rennie - 1/19/2005 8:00:03 PM
good tip on wobbly tables! i was sitting down at the harbourside Starbucks in Jersey City and sat down my coffee on a wobbly table... whoosh! brown liquid aplenty and 2nd degree burns on my hands.

Kate i like Java Monkey in Decatur, GA but the music is too loud to seriously work for my taste. but i enjoy the atmo and rummage thru local newspapers and mags or scribble down all my fabulous book ideas while there.
Charlotte Noerdlinger - 1/19/2005 12:57:08 PM
I was all set to order a subscription when the warning sign flashed the information might go to an unsafe server. Boy that frightened me and I erased my order. But I'd still like to have a subscription. Please advise
James Stewart - 1/19/2005 11:34:26 AM
I run a website listing places offering wifi in the Grand Rapids, MI area, (http://grwifi.net) so I try and get round as many different locations as I can. Lately I've been working on a client's premises so haven't had as much time for that as I'd like.

My favourite would have to be the coffee shop just round the corner from my home:

Common Ground Coffee Shop, 1319 Fulton St. East, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503

Nutshell: Very neighbourhood focussed, with clientele ranging from busy professionals grabbing a latte on the way to work, to those of us freelancers and students who hang out there all day, to retirees who drop in to read or meet friends. A great range of drinks, with excellent seasonal menus, and friendly involved staff. The walls always feature local art.

Wireless: Free. Good signal and decent speeds even when busy.

Food: Sweet stuff from the bakery a few doors down, and the deli next door will deliver sandwiches

Soundtrack: singer-songwriter, alt. rock, jazz, blues. whatever the barrista on duty chooses

Insider Tip: A few of the tables wobble, so grap some napkins to prop them up.

Comments: