Home > Blog > Forget "You're Fired" -- Try "You're Hired"
Thursday, April 08, 2004 10:16 AM
Forget "You're Fired" -- Try "You're Hired"
Halley Suitt on Business

Donald Trump loves his new catch phrase, 'You're Fired' but I like the ring of 'You're Hired' a lot better. So I got this idea.

I want to do WORTHWHILE MAKEOVERS! Isn't it time for a new job you really love? You write us a letter of why you want a 'work makeover.' We'll read all the letters and pick two people -- one male, one female. We'll sit you down with Tom Peters to get your brand in shape. I'll write you both a new resume. We have a terrific stylist, Lisa, who can give you a haircut, color, you name it. We'll get someone cool like Louis of Boston to give you a new outfit and we'll find you a new job.

It's still just an idea. But David Weinberger and I are having lunch with Tom tomorrow and I'm gonna pitch it. If they're into it, and then I get the hair and clothes thing lined up, an okay from fearless leaders Anita and Kevin, then we're good to go. Everybody's doing it. Whattya say? \n\nIf they go for it, I'll put all the details up in a post in the next few weeks. Wish me luck. \n

Gautam Ghosh - 4/12/2004 7:08:01 AM
hmm

Is this limited by geography to the US ?

I sure could use some !
kirsten - 4/10/2004 12:37:48 PM
Halley -

How did you discover re:invention's secret recipe and business model? We makeover entrepreneurs. www.reinventioninc.com or www.reinventioninc.blogspot.com

Shh! We are just Chicago-based. Though we appreciate them, we don't work with men though. Please don't let anyone know....
Bert - 4/8/2004 10:28:15 PM
In many ways I still love my job; but, I have about had it with the government stupocracy!

Need to be re-energized! And stylized:)
Danielle LaFleur - 4/8/2004 5:07:05 PM
What a fantastic idea!

My best friend and I were discussing the 'string of useless secretarial jobs making below poverty wage' topic the other day. Talk about a career that pigeonholes you. Every HR department out there assumes you have no leadership or management skills and that your greatest thrill in life is typing in Excel.

If this is anything like American Idol - I vote for the admin assistant! (Who to text my vote to…?)
Brian Jones - 4/8/2004 2:48:44 PM
Great start Halley. Don't forget, the Apprentice will ultimately be 'You're Hired' when the last one is standing. The marketing by Trump has just taken off. Your idea might be better suited as 'Job Makeover' taking some average people to get them extraordinary jobs. Remember, it's TV, not 'reality'......
Jeremy C. Wright - 4/8/2004 12:24:44 PM
Very cool idea. I'd always wished that the people who did 'What Not To Wear' (TLC) would do one for jobs.

Maybe if this succeeds you guys can pitch it to TLC? ;-)
Kate - 4/8/2004 11:58:23 AM
Fantastic! In the midst of makeover mania (houses, plastic surgery, now even Queer Eye is launching a version where they make over straight women), here's one that can be truly transformational. Sign me up to help however I can.
Halley Suitt - 4/8/2004 11:07:08 AM
Stephanie -- you said something so important in your great comment and that was '... because someone else knew someone else and they had a buddy who ...' which is exactly how people DO get great jobs and hopefully something all of us here at Worthwhile can offer the winners and runner-ups.

Dayna -- you're encouragement that there's light at the end of the tunnel is most appreciated.

Nick -- perfect time to get a new lease on life, eh -- spring and all. I'm especially keen on doing a male makeover, come on guys, please let us chop that mop and trim that beard!
Jules - 4/8/2004 11:04:50 AM
This is a makeover I could get into! What an awesome idea! I can relate to Stephanie as far as the jackie of all trades master of none!

I am a candidate for this makeover! When do we sign up!!
Nick - 4/8/2004 10:59:33 AM
Halley I think you may be on to something. Of course everyone wants to be made over new and given an opportunity to improve themselves.

Another thing that could be done are before and after letters from people who have made themselves over, how it worked, how long it took, and what was the main driving force.

Well good luck and I think it will be a hot ticket.
Dayna Smith - 4/8/2004 10:52:39 AM
This is a great idea - I hope it is well recieved. I went from a job I despised to one I love! I wake up every morning and look forward to going to work. I would love for more people to have that same oportunity!! GOOD LUCK!!
Stephanie - 4/8/2004 10:39:01 AM
MAN, could I use this makeover!

More importantly, this is the sort of thing I should be doing for a living!

Everyone told me after my abusive marriage ended that I needed to do something to support my three lovely children. So I went to college at night. Took me 5 years but I graduated with a 3.98 GPA and believed it everytime someone told me I would be very marketable and successful.

Five years later and I'm at the end of a string of useless secretarial jobs making below poverty wage. I lost my last job 12 months ago, the unemployment just ran out, the interviews are non-existent and I'm looking at going on welfare. WHAT happened to the American Dream; You do the honest work and success will come? It's all lost on opportunities because someone else knew someone else and they had a buddy who ....

And now I have a sporatic resume and am known as 'Jack of All Trades - Master of None'. I know someone could look at all my qualifications and make something more than beef stew out of it - I just don't know anyone like that.

Comments: