Home > Blog > It's Earth Day -- Do You Care?
Friday, April 21, 2006 5:16 PM
It's Earth Day -- Do You Care?
Kevin Salwen on Environment & Sustainability

So another Earth Day comes, Saturday, April 22. And we nod at the importance of the environment, and then make few, if any changes in our consumption or behavior.  Oil hits $75 a barrel and we wince, then fill our cars again (after all, we are living in an administration of a pro-Big Oil president!).

So, what does Earth Day mean to you? Is it a symbol of what we want to be? Can it really trigger change?

Matt - 4/24/2006 2:36:11 PM
Well, first of all I don't think the media give enough attention to Eart Day. The higher the price of oil goes, all the better. It will force the general populus to demand more renewable energies, because those will be much more affordable. Hopefully, this is a wakeup call!
anita - 4/24/2006 10:38:14 AM
I'm making major changes to my behavior -- telecommuting a lot more is step #1. It doesn't make any sense to do a 32-mile round-trip commute if it isn't necessary. I didn't know that leaving your phone charger plugged in was a big deal, but apparently it is, so I unplug that after the cell phone charges. I have changed my thermostat and use open windows and ceiling fans. Those are just a few things.
joe - 4/23/2006 3:05:19 PM
Earth Day should be like Christmas, we should maintain those feelings all year long, not just for the day. The little "green" things you do every day will help. Separating your trash, offer to give your neighbor a lift to the mall or grocery store, walk to lunch instead of jumping into the car.
Janet - 4/22/2006 8:37:55 PM
I celebrated earth day by preparing trails for summer hiking. We also planted some trees and flowers in a California park. Hopefully these plants will survive and be around for awhile. I am working on my bicycle and plan to use that often for transportation. My car will only be for longer trips. The rate of fuel is rediculious right now. I choose not to pay it. I alone can't change things, but I will do my part and hope others do too. Yes, I might be a treehugger, but I like it and don't plan on changing that.
Katie - 4/22/2006 10:44:00 AM
If Earth Day had always been bigger while I was growing up, I would be more apt to "celebrate" the holiday today.

Comments: