Home > The Dialogue > This Is YOUR Place
The Dialogue
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:26 PM
This Is YOUR Place

Welcome to The Dialgoue, YOUR place on Worthwhilemag.com to come and share your thoughts, give your opinions, debate, agree, and anything else you can think of.  We will do our best to keep the topics updated and fresh.  If you have a topic you’d like to see posted please share it on this thread and we’ll add it to our list.

Drew - 5/15/2006 10:54:21 PM
Following up on Jan's story, how about American and Canadian tort reform, and its impact on businesses (responsible and otherwise) in those countries? Also, the interaction of personal and corporate responsibility in today's society. Put another way, can we justly redress injuries like Jan's and promote healthy, responsible business at the same time?
Craig Sawyer - 5/3/2006 5:00:13 PM
I would like to see a US based survey on whether the rise in energy costs is seen as a crisis or inconvenience at the $3 - $5 level vs $7-$9 per gallon. At what price will it really start to hurt and change life styles? What point will the car pooling start or the number of cars on the road diminish. I would like to hear from people that understand their finances and choices between all of their expenses and gasoline. I recently did some quick math on getting a new car, and even with gas at the $4 level, it is a relatively small percentage of the cost to own or lease the vehicle. The price that the pain really starts will be the moment that the effort starts to make changes, whichever direction that is.
Richard Bergsma - 5/2/2006 5:18:42 PM
I would like to see an article in Worthwhile that discusses how small, local companies can participate and impact markets on a national scale. I am Marketing Coordinator for an architecture/engineering firm in Tucson. We are a single-office, employee-owned, 45-person firm. Although small by some standards, we are able to compete nationally in several market segments and are often successful in beating out much larger, multi-office firms for projects. As our Southwestern cities grow, the trend is always for the smaller, local companies to get bought out by the larger incoming corporations. But the "bigger is always better" route to success doesn't necessarily foster a company culture in which the employees can grow personally and professionally (often becoming cogs in the great corporate machine). It's important to recognize the success of local, single-office businesses that compete head-to-head with the multi-office powerhouses and that have a positive impact nationaly utilizing a strictly local work force. I would be very interested in an article addressing this topic, or in simply comparing notes with other companies like ours.
Janet Auty-Carlisle - 5/1/2006 10:20:44 PM
So, here's a thought....and it's only my perspective. I was wrongly diagnosed with Parkinson's disease for 6 years when I turned 40. Now, 10 years later, I am getting back on my feet financially. I have gone back to school and have completed the first leg of training for my coaching career. Before the PD I owned my own relocation business and was quite successful, now I have limited funds, and am struggling to be a successful business owner once again. The difference is the parameters around "successful" have changed since the error in diagnosis....oh, and by the way, in Canada you can't sue for this..fyi....I am very happy, I am content and I know that the world will provide me with exactly what I require and want. I see my family often and appreciate their warmth, senses of humour and their desire to "just be" with me.....One person's opinion...Living la vida fearless, Jan
Janet - 5/1/2006 2:02:46 PM
average salary and more time with family
Greg Lumpkin - 4/20/2006 12:44:36 PM
I'd like to survey users of this web site. The question I'd like to pose is this: Would you rather earn a high salary if it meant that you would see your family less or would you be happy with an average salary and more time with family?

Comments: