Home > The Dialogue > Movies to Love
The Dialogue
Monday, April 17, 2006 9:28 AM
Movies to Love

Talk about new favorites and the classics you will always love,  recommend a flick (or do the opposite), find out if anybody else has tips on worthwhile viewings…

libby - 6/7/2006 11:52:51 AM
Catherine,
Albert Brooks and Holly Hunter were in "Broadcast News" - a great flick, also...
My laugh-out-loud Fav: My Cousin Vinny.
Christiana - 5/23/2006 11:56:58 AM
One of my all-time favorites is "Babette's Feast". It moves slowly and builds very deliberately to a kind of pleasure that stays with you long after the film is done. I find myself more mindful when I prepare family meals, or when I eat in a restaurant and start to wonder about who's in the back in the kitchen. I come across references to it in the oddest places. Last Sunday, our priest even incorporated part of the story in his sermon, what a surprise.
Beth - 5/16/2006 6:39:04 PM
I loved "The Spitfire Grill" -- a strong story that touches on such themes as second chances, not judging books by their covers, and watching out for one's neighbors. "Swimming with Sharks" with Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley is a darkly comic look at what happens to bad bosses when their mistreated employees finally snap. "Sliding Doors" with Gwyneth Paltrow and John Hannah is a quirkily crafted film that examines how lives can be forever altered by events that only lasted seconds. I echo the previous vote for "The Shawshank Redemption." One of the most beautifully written and acted movies to come out in 30 years.
Cory Garrison - 5/16/2006 3:56:40 PM
I'm going through a Mocumentary phase right now. I highly reccomend the Christopher Guest movies "A Mighty Wind", "Best in Show", and "Waiting for Guffman". Of course, who could forget "Spinal Tap".
Vishal Das - 4/21/2006 5:44:52 AM
Jerry Maguire is a loovely movie. Among satires, i'd vote for Wag the Dog.
Greg Lumpkin - 4/20/2006 1:00:58 PM
My vote for drama goes to "The Shawshank Redemption" hands down. For romance, "Music from Another Room" followed by "French Kiss". Action movies: Any one of the "Die Hard" trilogy will be fine with me.
Coley - 4/19/2006 3:20:08 PM
I just have to say I totally agree on "Thank You For Smoking." I saw it this weekend and it definitely makes the list of one of the most clever and fun comedies I've ever seen!
Kevin - 4/19/2006 3:19:46 PM
If you haven't seen "Thank You for Smoking" get thee to the theater this week. First of all, it's a great satire and those are hard to come by in an era in which spoof is easier. Second, it's a movie about a man who truly, honestly loves his work -- despicable as that line of career may be. Often, Hollywood reflects the drudgery of the paycheck-earner (Clerks, Office Space, Norma Rae, Nine to Five), but sometimes there's a great "I love waking up on Monday morning" flick. Jerry Maguire, post-big agency, comes to mind. Anybody have others?
Peter Joyce - 4/18/2006 8:56:22 AM
For satire, it's hard to beat Woody Allen. Think "Love and Death" or "Sleeper." Can't wait to check out "Thank You for Smoking."
Catherine Howell - 4/17/2006 9:52:41 AM
The movie Network might be the best of this kind of satire -- three scenes stand out: Albert Brooks sweating, Holly Hunter giving taxi directions and of course Peter Finch being "mad as hell" and not taking it anymore!
Kevin - 4/17/2006 9:49:10 AM
The American Heritage Dictionary offers this help: Satire: A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit. Spoof: A gentle satirical imitation; a light parody.

Comments: