Home > The Dialogue > Power: How It’s Changing
The Dialogue
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:40 AM
Power: How It’s Changing

Talk about what power is today.  Has it changed? Is it the same?  What does it mean to you?

Moly - 7/1/2006 11:13:27 PM
Power is not power over but power with, and power within. That is true power, for it is this kind of power that can never be taken away, because it the kind of power that can not simply be given. It can only be developed and realized from within.
Richard Bergsma - 4/28/2006 2:40:55 PM
I disagree with Mr. Rogers. In my career/life, I don't equate power to possessions and I don't believe power is a result of possessions. The President of my company can convince major clients to see things from a different perspective, can garner full participation from his employees, or guide a coworker through a series of difficult tasks...all without ever being insistant or raising his voice. That's power, and it doesn't come from his title, his nice home, or the number of cars he has. You could gift me his title, his nice home, and his cars, but they wouldn't give me his power.
Kevin - 4/19/2006 3:46:29 PM
This issue of Worthwhile features a package on how people are redefining power in our organizations and in our culture. As Sylvia LaFair writes in her essay, power is becoming more Gump (as in Forrest, the keeper of the Zen flame) than Trump (as in Donald, keeper of the "you're fired" mantra). Or you can snare the Paul Hawken quote: "What the world is calling for is not blame, but collaboration, not villains but participation. It is calling upon business to use its power as a means to re-imagine our relationship to each other and the earth." You agree? What does power mean now? Is its definition changing?
James Rogers - 4/5/2006 10:45:52 AM
This is a feel-good concept, but in reality, do we think that power really has changed? We envy the people in the limos. We kowtow to the bosses. We secretly (or overtly) covet expensive toys and homes. That's all factored into power, right? In short, I think people who are successful already tend to offer up bromides arguing that power has changed -- but it really hasn't for those who don't hold it.
Samantha (sam) - 4/4/2006 12:20:28 PM
Power means being comfortable with casual dress among your employees.
Dan Salanah - 4/4/2006 11:55:10 AM
First, have to say LOVE LOVE LOVE the new site. This new section is great too. Hope people will use it. On Power (I haven't gotten my hands on the new issue yet, so please forgive if I repeat what has been said in the mag...)It comes from real respect-- not the kind that comes from fear (i.e. Trump) but the kind that comes from accomplishment and giving yourself to more than just yourself.

Comments: