Home > Blog > Deciding how to live now
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:08 PM
Deciding how to live now
Curt Rosengren on Passionate Work

'You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.'

- Joan Baez

The thing that strikes me about this quote is how many people don't decide how they're going to live. They let their lives be pushed and pulled by circumstances, rather than stepping up and making a conscious choice to take control. They stay stuck in the inertia, rather than jumping out of the rut and finding the path that's right for them.

There are a bazillion reasons why that happens. Fear is a big one. So are the messages we're constantly bombarded with about what career and success is supposed to look like, about what we can and can't do, about what's 'responsible,' etc.

Deciding how you're going to live (and taking action on that) isn't the easy way. It takes effort to jump the track and find your own path. It's much easier just to follow the paint by numbers version of what our lives are supposed to look like.

Finding that path - both professionally and personally - where you really feel alive might not be the easy route, but once you experience the full color spectrum, it's hard to imagine how you ever lived in shades of grey.

What life do you want to live now? Are you living it?

Monica Ricci - 5/7/2006 11:59:57 AM
KLG you are my hero! You are doing that child of yours such an amazing service! He probably hates you for it now, (as I hated my mom when she did it for me) but there is not a day that goes by that I don't see how those mindset lessons are relevant. Good parenting is a tough job, but it is so important! Good for you! ~Monica
Dee Rambeau - 4/2/2006 3:16:51 PM
I just finished a tremendous book by Gene O'Kelly, the former Chairman of KPMG. He was given 90 days to live and the book follows how he winds down his incredibly high-profile life and dies in a manner of his choosing. It was very moving.
'Chasing Daylight'
Jay Snyder - 3/30/2006 2:03:36 AM
I completely agree with Curt. It is amazing to see just how many people are dis-satisfied, and out of balance but don't know what to do. The great dichotomy in the U.S. is the balance of our inner self, our purpose, with the very real realities of making mortgages, normal revolving costs and paying for our needs and wants. We all look at each other for the answer. But, the answer is within us. That is where our voice is. We are all agents of change. The change happens when we live our principles. That is what people are craving...honesty, authenticity. That is within all of us. Right now, it seems that is a commodity. Only so, because too few of us actually sustain our true value and contribution.
KLG - 3/29/2006 12:13:06 PM
I am constantly telling my 12 year old that he is the guard at the door of himself. It is his job - and his alone - to protect and manage himself and his life.

If his feelings are hurt, it's his job to move on or stay and wallow.

If he's unsatisfied, it's his job to figure out his joy and pursue it.

If he's blaming anyone or anything but himself he will constantly be frustrated.

Now, if only i could live by these same guidelines!
Chris Yeh - 3/29/2006 1:04:05 AM
Figure out what you love to do, and try to get paid to do it.

It's taken me over 30 years of my life to figure that out. And in another 30 years, I'll probably think something completely different.

But that's life.
Janet Auty-Carlisle - 3/28/2006 6:29:23 PM
Hey Curt.....I am living la vida fearless,....Jan

Comments: