Home > Blog > The Future of Worthwhile
Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:12 PM
The Future of Worthwhile
Kevin Salwen on In the News

Where are we headed at Worthwhile? Martin Flaherty interviews Kevin Salwen about the next few months. This 10 minute chat is our first Podcast, and while it's a bit rough, we'd love to know what you think. To listen, click here.

Coley - 11/3/2005 6:32:01 PM
Kevin,

Awesome stuff. Transcript is a great idea! But only if you can find a non-time consuming way to do it. I don't know a cool software, but I know not to use a human that has any form of 'assistant' in its title.
Coley - 11/3/2005 6:31:23 PM
Kevin,

Awesome stuff. Transcript is a great idea! But only if you can find a non-time consuming way to do it. I don't know a cool software, but I know not to use something that has any form of 'assistant' in its title ;).
Kevin - 11/3/2005 5:31:48 PM
I think the transcript is a good idea, but majorly time-consuming. Anyone know of a cool software that can do that?
Curt Rosengren - 11/3/2005 1:27:45 PM
Loved it! There's something about listening to someone talk that offers so much more of a connection to what you're doing than the written word alone. I'm psyched about where Worthwhile is going, and I'm looking forward to more.

Gulliver has a good point on providing content in written form as well. Even if it's not the full transcript, a nutshell list of key points would be nice.

Worthwhile rocks! Keep it up!
gulliver - 11/3/2005 7:59:36 AM
Entirely constructively...

Some of us old farts still like to read stuff.

Whilst I'd likely happily have waded through two/four pages - which I can speed-read by skimming and pausing for the bits that grab me, I simply can't be bothered to mess around with a soundfile - much of the meaning of which is likely lost unless I listen to the whole.

So, I'll not know what was said and probably feel needlessly alienated.

Point here? Simple. Unless there's a valid reason, make content inclusive and additional.
DK - 11/3/2005 4:39:27 AM
I reiterate the first post - lots of my own peers and younger who are 'starting right' ... aligning their passion to their work!

Definitely make the podcast RSS enabled.

How about more international flavours? I'm based in the UK and know of a whole heap of positive companies who are empowering their employees and individuals who are inspirational in their approach...
Janet Auty-Carlisle - 11/1/2005 3:19:53 PM
Cool, Job searches. That should be really interesting to see given the reason for Worthwhile....Glad to see that it is becoming more interactive and reaching more of an audience. Living la vida fearless, Jan
Kevin - 11/1/2005 2:36:25 PM
Great thoughts, Kate and Grant. Kate, I definitely get where you're coming from -- and it's in our plans.

Grant, RSS is definitely coming very soon. As for your thought about younger covers, we've focused more stories on that than we've probably teased on the covers themselves, i.e. the whole Quest package is young but Stedman is older. Thanks for the thoughtful note.
Kate - 11/1/2005 2:22:47 PM
Well done! I'm especially looking forward to hearing podcasts of interviews conducted for feature articles - not only because I'm familiar with how much often gets left on the 'cutting room floor,' but because downloading podcasts for in-car listening is like scoring some really smart passengers for road trips and aggravating commutes!
Grant Henninger - 11/1/2005 1:06:33 PM
One comment I have for future podcasts, would it be possible to add them as enclosures to your RSS feed? That way people's news aggregators will automaticly download the podcast, and they will then be able to listen to it even if they aren't online when they go to listen to it.
Grant Henninger - 11/1/2005 1:00:11 PM
I haven't finished listening to the podcast yet, but I thought I would pause it and write down a thought I had before I forgot about it. In the interview, you talk about how you are seeing a lot of 20-somethings reading the magazine trying to figure out a way to avoid a first career they are not passionate about. I am one of those 20-somethings. I would really love to see more articles about people my own age, almost every cover story so far has featured somebody that looks a lot like my parents. I'm not saying I want a magazine that only focuses on my generation, but I would really like Worthwhile to be a bit more well rounded. And with the realization that your audience isn't just 40-somethings, I expect that would happen anyways.

Comments: