Home > Blog > Work away from work
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:12 PM
Work away from work
Curt Rosengren on Passionate Work

I'm sitting on the porch of Fremont Coffee in Seattle right now. It's an old house that's been converted to a coffee shop. For some reason, the front porch seems to be really conducive to writing, and I've spent many hours in the last couple months with my laptop on my lap, banging away at my keyboard. I can't quite explain why I seem to be more productive here than other places, but I am.

How about you? Do you have a favorite change of scenery? Do you have any place besides your workplace that seems to lend itself especially well to getting things done? Where is it?

Lars - 10/23/2005 9:42:36 AM
Despite the chaotic turmoil in central Tokyo, I find myself incredibly productive, sitting at a street café in Shibuya or Omotesando. Somehow, the peculiar mixture of people, walking up and down the street, hurrying through their own lives, makes me find more peace in my work, than in a grey (they truly are grey in Tokyo), concentrated office, which breathes too much predictability.
Janet Auty-Carlisle - 10/18/2005 11:34:38 PM
In the warm weather here in Southern Ontario I sit in the front yard of my house. My husband has created a beautiful courtyard complete with a little waterfall and it is very tranquil. In fact, this is where the Worthwhile shoot was done for the current issue. In the colder weather, now upon us, I try to find the sunniest place in my house, I work from home, to do my writing. I don't have a laptop, gasp, so, if I have to,I write in long hand, and then transcribe onto the pc later. Living la vida fearless, Jan
www.tobeyourbest.net
Stuart Cowen - 10/18/2005 9:56:55 PM
After the breakfast rush, I love sitting with my laptop at a La Madeleine's French Bakery here in the North Texas area. The French roast coffee is good and great 'free' bread.
Julie - 10/18/2005 7:02:24 PM
I'd love to be able to leave work for a cup of coffee. That's not going to happen for me. But seriously, the bathroom is a pretty cool place. When the talk gets to me and I need to clear my head, I find peace there. (I find the same thing at home sometimes, too).
Evelyn Rodriguez - 10/18/2005 6:25:52 PM
Well, it seems crazy since I can't even take a laptop there, but I like to go on a hike in the foothills here when I need to clear my head and come up with what next. I bring a journal instead.
Evelyn Rodriguez - 10/18/2005 6:25:25 PM