Home > Blog > What's Your Career Fantasy?
Friday, October 07, 2005 9:31 AM
What's Your Career Fantasy?
Anita Sharpe on Passionate Work

Worthwhile reader Troy Worman, who commented on a post yesterday about the revival of an independent book store, says he has always wanted to own a such a place. That got me thinking about the secret (or not-so-secret) career fantasies we've all had. From the time I was eight, mine was to start a magazine. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Alyse Hart - 10/11/2005 4:16:16 PM
My fantasy job would be a cross between Julie from the Love Boat and a camp counselor. I was a camp counselor for a bunch of 8 year olds decades ago and fondly remember the 8 weeks of fun in the sun and laughs with no purpose but to have a good time.

To repurpose these into my life now would probably mean becoming a surrogate funster - showing tightly wound executives (like I was) the wonder of dance and play while I have a blast and get paid well too.

My ultimate fantasy would be to 'come out' 24/7 and be silly and lighthearted and be embraced rather than dismissed for being not serious enough or a lightweight. P.S. I am on my way on this.
Alyse Hart - 10/11/2005 4:15:31 PM

Alyse Hart - 10/11/2005 4:13:48 PM

Hiren Shah - 10/10/2005 11:17:25 AM
Since children have conditioned minds, childhood fantasies are a good way of knowing your purpose in life if you are a drifter and a career/dabbler. Some fantasies based on peer pressure or style/fashion can be misleading. Though dreaming big is deemed desirable, too much of fantasizing can ruin your concentration which is relevant considering what Ralph Waldo Emerson said, Concentration is the secret of success in politics, in war in all management of human affairs�

My fantasy as a non-fiction writer is to be able to write something of substance which can bring continuous employment and financial freedom. Everybody fantasizes about making a living out of what they love to do but unfortunately all occupations do not have a handsome market profile.
Hiren Shah - 10/10/2005 11:16:56 AM

Hiren Shah - 10/10/2005 11:16:16 AM

Hiren Shah - 10/10/2005 11:15:49 AM
Since children have conditioned minds, childhood fantasies are a good way of knowing your purpose in life if you are a drifter and a career/dabbler. Some fantasies based on peer pressure or style/fashion can be misleading. Though dreaming big is deemed desirable, too much of fantasizing can ruin your concentration which is relevant considering what Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “ Concentration is the secret of success in politics, in war in all management of human affairs�

Hiren Shah - 10/10/2005 11:11:43 AM

Jerry - 10/8/2005 12:06:21 AM
Playing baseball for the New York Yankees, but at 52 I think I'm a little old for this.
Janet Auty-Carlisle - 10/7/2005 10:39:16 AM
Hey Anita, This is what I love about Worthwhile...Put out the question and then the intenion is spoken, or written, out loud. As a child I used to love pretending I was a teacher. I would set up the class room in my back yard, have the materials ready and the books we were going to work on. My specialty was going to be English as I also loved to write. 40 years later I find myself doing exactly what I wanted to do back then. Being a coach allows me to be the teacher. My class room is everywhere and my students are everybody. The writing took care of itself. I wrote several books when I was in the 'misdiagnosis' stage of my life and continue to write now. One of the important elements of being a coach is to have people go back to that feeling of being a child and finding out what it was you loved to do. When people get stumped about what they want it often helps to go back to that time in their lives and really dig about to create that vision as an adult. I am looking forward to hearing from others on this topic. Living la vida fearless, Jan www.tobeyourbest.net

Comments: