Home > Blog > How Do You Feel?
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:09 AM
How Do You Feel?
Kevin Salwen on In the News

Two reports released today offer little encouragement about the economy. In August, sales of new homes fell by the largest amount in nine months, according to a new Commerce Department survey. And September consumer confidence plunged by 19 points -- its biggest drop in 15 years, according to the Conference Board.

Yet, I look around my neighborhood and I see new pools going in and renovations continuing at a brisk pace. I look around Atlanta and in my travels and I see no shortage of cranes and other commercial construction. My friends seem to be hiring (office managers, in particular). Given these signs and others, I'd been optimistic about our economy, even with the significant rise in fuel prices and the disruptions from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

What's your take on where we're headed?

mary - 9/30/2005 4:42:40 AM
My Dearest One,
I have a proposal for you,this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will. Your profile pushed me to send you this mail,
I am Mrs mary Clement from Solomon Islands near Australia. I am married to Mr.William Clement from Kuwait who worked with Kuwait Embassy in GUINEE for nine years before he died in the year 2001.
We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.
Before his death we were both born again Christian. Since his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against.
When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $4.5 Million in a bank in AFRICA.
Recently, my DOCTOR told me that I would not last for the next Eight months due to cancer problem. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a church,organization or good person that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in.
I want a church,organization or good person that will use this fund for orphanages, widows, propagating the word of God and to endeavor that the house of God is maintained.
l took this decision because I don’t have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians not even good at all
because they are the one that killed my husband in other to have all my
late husband prperties and I don’t want my husband’s efforts to be used by unbelievers. I don’t want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way.
This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord.Exodus 14 VS 14 says that “the lord will fight my case and I shall
hold my peace�.
I don’t need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health hence the presence of my husband’s relatives around me always. I don’t want them to know about this development. With God all things are possible.
As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the Bank in AFRICA. I will also issue you an authority letter that will prove you the present beneficiary of this fund. I want you and the church or the organization to always pray for me because the lord is my shephard.
My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian.Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life.
Contact me on this email address (mary_clement@europe.com)and any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another church,organization or good person for this same purpose.
Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated herein.
Hoping to receive your response immedaitely.
Thanks and Remain blessed in the Lord.
Mrs Mary Clement

Robert - 9/29/2005 8:46:25 PM
Heard an interesting and admittedly oversimplified talk this week by an economist, who emphasized the distinction among spending and behavior by three groups: business, government and consumers. Sure, all three connect, but it's interesting to dissect and isolate them from each other. Business, for all its diversity and challenges, does seem to be righting itself (compared to the Internet bubble era) from a profit perspective, which is to say that the new office construction and hiring may make sense. On the other hand, spending and debt by consumers and government is way out of control, begging the question about all the pools and home renovations (and disaster relief) -- where is that money coming from? Seems like that's pure debt, which is scary....
Mike - 9/27/2005 5:28:53 PM
As the recent real estate boom has fueled the economy for the last 2 or 3 years, I am concerned that when this slows, as will the economy. There is risk, albeit slight of a recession in 2006. I think the fed will lower rates sometime in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Overall, I am enthusiastic about the long term economy, in the short term, I remain cautious.
Janet Auty-Carlisle - 9/27/2005 2:16:13 PM
I think we're headed wherever we choose to be headed. If you start to believe that things are going to get really bad they probably will. If you start to believe that things will get bad and then get better they probably will. This is not the first time the economy has made a down turn, this is not the first time people have lost jobs and this is not the first time people have suffered through a natural disaster. Depends on your perspective and whether or not you buy into the fear mongering media coverage. 'lemons to lemonade...' that's my motto!
Living la vida fearless,
Jan
www.tobeyourbest.net
Dee - 9/27/2005 11:50:59 AM
I have to wonder what the Katrina disaster is doing to the economy down there. Couple that with layoffs from a few big companies lately (Newell Rubbermaid, which cut 5k jobs being one in my backyard), I can't say I'm optimistic.

Comments: