Home > Blog > Have You Ever Noticed. . .
Monday, September 19, 2005 10:14 PM
Have You Ever Noticed. . .
Anita Sharpe on Life

that important things happen when you least expect it? Have you ever, for instance, set the time and day to fall in love?

This isn't quite in the falling-in-love category, but the other day I was sitting in San Francisco Coffee, my office-away-from-my-office, when a song started playing that made time momentarily stand still. I asked the barista what it was. 'Never Know by Jack Johnson,' she said. When I went to buy the CD ('In Between Dreams'), the clerk at Borders commented on how great it was, and that all of his stuff was just as good. 'Oh, you're familiar with him?' I said, feeling like I'd just returned from a long trip to the least cool place in the universe. 'Yeah, he's huge on the college circuit; his concerts sell out in about 10 minutes.'

So for those of you who are equally late to the game, Jack Johnson is worthwhile. It's been a while since I've been in college; but it's been nearly as long since I've been as blown away by a musician.

Who else out there am I missing?

anita - 9/21/2005 2:55:32 PM
I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Kate - 9/21/2005 11:13:31 AM
C.C. Adcock, spirited Louisana 'swamp rocker'
martin - 9/21/2005 8:59:22 AM
Josh Rouse
Devin Davis
Mark Sicignano - 9/20/2005 11:10:00 PM
I've heard some of Jack Johnson as well as many other worthwhile musicians by listening to the stream at http://www.radioparadise.com/

Give it a listen. Also some good channels on XM Radio.

Forget hearing anything worthwhile on the FM stations around New Haven or Hartford.
Chuck - 9/20/2005 11:56:21 AM
An interesting thing too about Jack Johnson is that he is a big backer of the environmental group called One Percent for the Planet, http://onepercentfortheplanet.org/. After he put info about them on a recent album, apparently the number of companies that have pledged 1% of their revenues to enviro groups skyrocketed. Cool use of fame.
sam - 9/20/2005 11:43:26 AM
Being in the same place, many years out of college, I was lucky to be introduced to jack johnson and see him at a local dive in boulder co several years ago and he sold out Red Rocks in minutes. Here are a couple of other recommendations that are mostly off-radio. This guy toured with jack johnson a couple years ago and I actually think he is better. Mason Jennings (http://www.masonjennings.com) He is also on the college scene but on a smaller scale. If you check it out will not be disappointed, I guarantee it, especially if you like jack johnson.

Also couple others which are not your typical radio play

Iron and wine- incredible
Richard Buckner
Damien Jurado
Bright Eyes
Gillian Welch- folk
Wilco-if you missed out on wilco, I feel really bad..lol
Bob Schneider