Home > Blog > Smart, Smart, Smart Toyota
Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:25 AM
Smart, Smart, Smart Toyota
Anita Sharpe on Business

With its announcement that it plans to sharply increase investment in hybrid electric cars, Toyota, which is developing 10 new models and opening or expanding 10 overseas plants, is poised to increase its share of the global auto market to 15%. That 'would probably vault it past General Motors as the world's largest automaker,' according to a story in the New York Times.

Soaring fuel prices, instability in the Middle East and environmental pressures have put hybrid-car development at the top of the priority list, Toyota executives say. But the message doesn't seem to be sinking in here in the states. Just for fun, when I go out for lunch later today, I'm going to see how many gigantic, gas-guzzling SUVs I can count with 'Support our Troops' stickers on their backsides.

Janet Auty-Carlisle - 8/5/2005 10:22:27 AM
Anita,
Thought provoking indeed. From a totally different perspective in that I am from Canada here goes.
I sold my second vehicle to return to school. It was a conscious decision as we watched the price of gas climb.
My family now has to be more creative in how we get about but we are managing. We walk, ride bicycles and, in my husband's case, ride a motorcylce to work. I am fortunate in that my coaching is mostly done from my home office but it is still a challenge to work with only one car. My personal belief is that the car is the worst thing imaginable for the environment. We are paving over sacred grounds, polluting the air, causing global warming, not exercising enough, not socializing enough, stressing out with other drivers....it goes on and on. So, hybrid, electic, hydrogen they're all good ideas but how about learning how to use other methods of transportation instead. Contraversial I am sure but worth considering.
Living la vida fearless.
www.tobeyourbest.net
Jan
Chris Woodruff - 8/4/2005 2:46:10 PM
The truth people are finding is that most of the hybrids do not get much better fuel efficiency and that most of the car makers that sell the hybrids are now being truthful and changing their marketing.

I actually like the plans and investments that GM is making into Hydrogen research and see that as a much better long term solution.

Chris Woodruff - 8/4/2005 2:45:26 PM

Mike Duffy - 8/4/2005 2:12:35 PM
It all depends. Here in Sebastopol (Cailfornia), it seems that every third new car I see on the road is a Toyota Prius. My 14-year-old daughter dreams about a used Prius as her first car (well, that or a VW Jetta). Even her old man is thinking that a new Prius might be an alternative to his aging Lexus SC400 (with its $45-a-pop gas tank), as long as it has the cool 'talking map' package.

So, there are (small) parts of the country where the message is being taken to heart.
Frank - 8/4/2005 12:56:36 PM
It does seem like the bigger the car, the more likely it is to have one of those stickers. But these people (at least the ones I talk to) don't see the Iraq thing as an oil war but as a fight for democracy, nor do they tend to believe in global warming. And most of them have enough money to pay for $100 fill-ups. Their driving habits and political beliefs are perfectly consistent.

Comments: