Home > Blog > What does "Being Rich" mean?
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 11:35 AM
What does "Being Rich" mean?
Anita Sharpe on Life

Whenever I ask this question at a dinner party, the answers have varied considerably -- once ranging from '$225,000' from a guy who had nearly escaped personal bankruptcy to '$100 million' from an entrepreneur whose wealth was already in the eight figures. In any case, the responses are always expressed in monetary terms and the amounts are always more than the person possesses at the moment.

I just got an email from a Worthwhile reader who offered another way of looking at this question. It's a nice story and one I sheepishly identified with. (By the way, the name of the writer's blog is 'I Will Teach You to Be Rich.')

Larie - 7/1/2005 4:37:30 PM
I think anyone who has ANYthing to share can consider themselves rich. I'd say that just about everyone is rich.
Larie - 7/1/2005 4:37:07 PM
Larie - 7/1/2005 4:36:37 PM
RTodd - 6/23/2005 10:03:21 PM
We already are, we just dont see it. Take my standard of living and I am a king 150 years ago, a tycoon 80 years ago, etc. What is it that rich people can afford that we can't? a bigger house? more cars? Please...
Sue - 6/22/2005 5:42:30 PM
Like anything, wealth can be subjective. For some people it means having enough money to sustain a certain type of lifestyle, for others it's a certain figure they hit in their bank account/credit line. Or the amount of rare and expensive material possessions and property they've accumulated.

Being an aspiring entrepreneur, I'd like a nice combination of the first two.
Coley - 6/22/2005 1:25:20 PM
I wouldn't put an exact figure on 'rich.' I'd say that somebody is 'rich' when they can buy pretty much anything they desire without looking at the price tag or feeling it. If somebody desire's to own their own plane so they can fly anywhere at anytime, then they're going to need a whole lot higher balance in their bank account than the person who's desire is to buy a first class ticket whenever they want to travel.

Comments: