Home > Blog > Virtual Focus Group
Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:34 PM
Virtual Focus Group
Anita Sharpe on Creativity

Whenever a new issue of Worthwhile magazine comes out, we seek as many opinions as possible on the look and content. We'd love to hear your thoughts on our first four covers: What's your favorite? Least favorite? Other thoughts on the design, content, etc?

Thanks!

Nick - 6/15/2005 12:42:35 PM
To me the third and fourth cover look too much alike. They are both good covers, but the timing of having them back to back is not the best.
Sheila - 6/15/2005 10:31:36 AM
I love the first cover--the action it displays grabs my attention.
Mason - 6/13/2005 3:15:36 PM
I like 1, as well, because it's fun -- what your work life should be like. I like 3 because the photo of Gina Gallo is confident and happy.
Ro - 6/13/2005 11:35:45 AM
I liked cover #1 the best. It captivated me to subscribe. This most recent cover photo could be on almost any magazine -- so it doesn't convey much to me or inspire me much.

I like covers that show poeple doing something, rather than being somewhere.
Phil Gerbyshak - 6/12/2005 9:01:17 AM
I really like #1 as well. Emotion, action, and interest all are quickly conveyed when looking at the image, and it makes me want to buy the magazine just for the pure bliss displayed!
Bruce DeBoer - 6/11/2005 12:12:19 PM
Cover #1 is the clear winner because it portrays the emotion that matches the headline. The others are too 'fashion-ish'.

I must say, however, that I'd like to see still more emotion on the cover. Make it stand out in the catagory when on the news stand.

While Cover #1 does it better than the others, I'm not convinced it couldn't be pushed further.

The qualifier: I'm not in the boardroom and don't belong to the strategy team. It's very easy to through out comments like I did above without knowing context.
Jeffrey - 6/10/2005 4:36:17 PM
It's hard for me to not think 'look at all the middle class white people' when I see the series of covers. Where is the diversity? And for whatever reason something in the design makes me think of airline magazines (not in a good way), particularly the interior pages. I think the basic design template is sound but needs some tweaking. Reconsider the glossy stock as well. A matter stock like Real Simple (a very elegantly designed publication) is easier on the eyes.
Carol - 6/10/2005 4:05:39 PM
My vote is for issue 1 and 3 - more professional/more punch.
I like the punch line for each of the 4 issues.
Jennifer Warwick - 6/10/2005 1:50:31 PM
I like #1 - guys having big fun with a corporate-ish skyline behind them. The vineyard one is my second favorite. Other photos as also beautfully shot and composed - just, for me, not evocative enough of the Worthwhile vibe for the cover. As others have said, the content rocks, and the covers haven't quite captured it consistently yet.

Love the people instead of just graphics. Can't wait to see what's next.
Paughnee - 6/10/2005 11:21:29 AM
Like the majority of commenters above, #1 is my favorite. It seems to really communicate the idea of work with passion.
James Coutts - 6/10/2005 8:16:35 AM
How about covers which focus on funky workplaces, the products/services that some of the cool companies sell (after all, that is what they do) or perhaps highlight something really obscure which just shows you what a great (or tough life!) working on your own project/business can be (eg at the cinema on a monday afternoon). Re: the content - lots of people keep telling me that the magazine is becoming a little 'samey' and they worry that you are going to run out of ground to cover. Personally, I read everyone cover to cover. Keep up the good work!
maria - 6/10/2005 7:58:44 AM
My favorite covers have been #1 & #3, but that doesn't mean I disliked #2 & #4. I'd much rather see a person on the cover than a graphic. I also really like the bold, bit statement you have on every cover.

As for the content, though I've read every issue cover to cover, I think the content's gotten better over time. I personally felt that the stories in the first issue were so short that they didn't get below the surface. I wondered if you were catering to short-attention spans, perhaps? I must admit I was a little disappointed after reading that one because I created such high expectations just from seeing your first cover and loving the concept. Having said that, though, I still picked up issue #2 and found that much improved, as are subsequent issues, so I now subscribe and just got the July issue yesterday. I can't wait to dive in!
Gary - 6/10/2005 4:38:08 AM
#2 looks like a SAGA advert and #4 is a dressmaking magazine
Joan - 6/9/2005 11:31:02 PM
I liked the cover of #1 the best, though I thought it was really clever to photograph Gina Gallo strolling through her vineyard. None of your covers, frankly, hold a candle to the quality of the content inside. The writing and the photography are provocative in every issue. I think you should challenge yourselves to be bolder on the covers.
Harold - 6/9/2005 9:51:46 PM
#1 & #3 are great covers. yogurt guy and beach shot are not as such.

jeff - 6/9/2005 7:57:54 PM
I hate to say it but I agree with the rest, they are all fine. The first one is very good and # 2 is ok. but the last 2 could be catalogs or health mags. You should think about putting the person in their own workspace not the beach etc. I think adding some relevance to where they are in their work since that is what the magazine seems to be about. Any of the photos here would have made a better cover in my opinion https://worthwhilemag.com/toc.pdf.

As far as the content goes, I have enjoyed it thoroughly when you write about real people out doing work they love and finding worthwhile things to keep them going and passionate etc throughout their lives. The pieces I seem to not like so much (especially in the blog) are the writers/editors and others who work at the magazine telling their own stories in the blog. It seems that you are working a little too hard to tell everyone you love what you do. A lot of people love what they do but to drill that fact into our heads with simplistic statements does seem to get a bit old for me at times. Other than that, wonderful work!
frank Patrick - 6/9/2005 7:16:07 PM
Let's make it 4 of a kind for #1, but only because the other three look like apparel catalogs.
DK - 6/9/2005 6:48:34 PM
Agree with Pat & Sam on the first cover preference - the other two look like bad insurance leaflets or life insurance - sorry!

Still waiting to see these covers in person as international subscribers have yet to be sorted...
Sam - 6/9/2005 5:19:28 PM
I liked the first cover best, too. It really jumped out at me (and the pun should be intended.)

I like active shots of people doing Worthwhile things, not just posing prettily. There are so many mags with pretty faces on their covers. dare to be different - dare to be Worthwhile.
Pat - 6/9/2005 4:53:30 PM
Liked the first cover with the Life is Good guys best -- it jumped out at me (no pun intended) on the newsstand. I like the mag but would like to see more in each issue on people like Alice Waters and John Wood, who are making a difference in the world (and still having fun.)

Comments: