Home > Blog > Hitting the Road
Monday, June 06, 2005 6:04 PM
Hitting the Road
Kevin Salwen on Passionate Work

They may be the two most scary -- and yet satisfying -- words in the English language: 'I quit.' Now, it turns out, more of us are doing it. This morning's USA Today shows that the percentage of unemployed people who voluntarily quit their jobs is now at its highest level since August 2001.

The story contends that the rise is likely the result of workers feeling more confident in the job market. My view: It's as least as much a result of people feeling frustration or that a sense of 'stuck,' and wanting to feel more connected, more empowered, more impassioned. Thoughts, oh wise friends out there??

Laura Bergells - 6/8/2005 5:05:41 PM
I know someone who quit his job this week. His reason?

'I just couldn't take it anymore.'

For him, it wasn't about feeling '...more connected, more empowered, more impassioned.'

It was about **not** feeling physically sick from working long hours for little pay in dangerous, inhumane conditions.

Let's not forget: emancipation proclamation or not, slavery still runs rampant in the US. Quitting a job that shackles your body and mind for over 50% of your day may just be the first step to real freedom.
Eileen Parzek - 6/8/2005 12:39:33 PM
It has been 10 years since I said 'I quit' and went home. It was radical then - now I know I number of people who have done the same thing (and so do my parents, thank goodness). I don't buy for a moment that it is confidence in the economy. Are they kidding?? I know even more people who are under- or un-employed than ever before. The economy is still in shambles. No, I firmly believe it is an extension of the growing movement towards self actualization and finding meaning in life and your lifes work. And yes, the Internet has played a big role as a catalyst, spurring people into believing they can make it big online - but I also know that is not for the feint hearted. So there has to be more to it than that.
Harold Jarche - 6/7/2005 9:22:07 PM
It's just anecdotal, but more of my friends are saying 'shove it' these days. Or perhaps I'm just travelling with a better crowd since I left my 9-5 routine :-)
Harold - 6/7/2005 9:12:16 AM
Any numbers on those who simply wanted to say 'take this job and shove it?' You've got to admit there's an empowered, impassioned feeling with telling a jackass of a boss or soul-killing employer to 'bugger off'.
Harold Jarche - 6/6/2005 9:15:54 PM
Perhaps the realization that no company will take care of you, and that you're better off left to your own devices. Since there is no such thing as a job for life, maybe people are understanding that they have to make their own jobs.

I'm pretty sure that the 'internet thing' is fueling this as well. We can stay home and still be connected.

Comments: