Home > Blog > Learning From Walter
Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:39 AM
Learning From Walter
Kevin Salwen on Passionate Work

train.184.1.condWhy are we still surprised when we learn that some people LOVE their work? This morning's New York Times offers up the story of Walter O'Rourke, a train conductor who also happens to be a millionaire from smart investments. He's 65, he has plenty of money. But he wants to be at his job on the New Jersey Transit train.

In response to what were obviously a series of incredulous questions by the Times reporter, Mr. O'Rourke is quoted as saying:
-- 'There's no place else I'd rather be.'
-- 'I don't need the money, I need the job.'
-- The money is 'pocket change. But it keeps me doing the one thing I enjoy doing most.'
-- 'I realize that some people, especially some of my co-workers, might see me as a strange duck. But where does it say that a man can't love what he does for a living?'

Where does it say that indeed? Still doing something that doesn't charge you up? Learn from Walter.

Harold Bayuk - 4/20/2005 10:25:38 AM
As an independent televison program producer, I am eager to embrace another project. The production of a simple life history of Walter O'Rourke will be something of substance and social redeeming value. Please let me know how I may embrace this endeavor. Thank you.
-Harold M. Bayuk
410-604-3456
God Bless.
Harold Bayuk - 4/20/2005 10:24:54 AM
-Harold M. Bayuk
410-604-3456
God Bless.
Nancy D. Solomon - 4/17/2005 1:03:54 AM
It was fifteen years ago, as a senior exec in the fashion industry, that I sat in my apartment on the upper west side of Manhattan and said to myself, 'How much money are they going to have to pay me for me to forget how much I hate my life?'

A short time later I picked up my life and headed as far west as I could go without getting wet. I went back to school, got the degree in psychology that I'd ached for 20 years before, and am now on purpose with my life.

As a result of this mega-change, one of my favorite expressions has become 'Doing your job has nothing to do with how much you get paid for it.'

Bravo to Mr. O'Rourke for living his life rather than dying his dream!
harold - 4/15/2005 9:02:54 AM
Walter was the best thing I've read about recently. In a world of business books, life coaches and feel good chat shows, Walter is a great example of the adage, do what makes you happy.

Walter rules in a big way...
DK - 4/14/2005 6:01:51 PM