Home > Blog > The Resurrection of Jack
Monday, March 28, 2005 2:07 PM
The Resurrection of Jack
Kevin Salwen on Business

Jack Welch is on his way back to the top -- this time as a guy who knows how to balance his life, his new definition of 'winning.' I've written about this before with the simple question of who wants to hear from Welch on this type of winning, one in which he has absolutely zippo credibility.

Now Rex Hammock focuses on the Newsweek cover story about Welch, with a great post (see item of March 27) about the reinvention of Jack as Mr. Soft and Fuzzy. Worth a read.

The book is going to sell big. Welch will again be seen as a modern American business hero. And I still can't see him as much else than a man from another era.

Jscott - 4/12/2005 11:24:35 PM
Life will go on if no other books are written. So what? Come on.

Jack is human like the rest of us. He is us. I am glad he penned the book. I have liked seeing his life evolve.

I see an older Jack that gets what matters to him and expressses it.

Nice to see that he sees his mistakes and his good stuff.

I figure I will tell the same story in a different way someday.

Most of us will. A simple human story.
Troy Worman - 3/31/2005 12:08:17 AM
Reinvention is a good thing.
Jeffrey - 3/30/2005 9:46:21 PM
Martin has it right. Yes, we will experience Welch overload the next few weeks, but I think he has little management wisdom left to impart. Life would go on just fine without another Welch book.
Robert - 3/29/2005 5:57:39 PM
I agree. Am looking at other business magazines just hitting the newsstand. One has Warren Buffett on the cover (and, yes, Jack Welch, in the subhead). Another is extolling the virtues of the 80-hour work week. When did it become the '90s again?

robin88th - 3/29/2005 10:53:10 AM
You're right; he's definitely back, on the cover of Newsweek this week being interviewed with Suzy on 60 Minutes Wed. on March 30.
Chris Macrae - 3/29/2005 8:11:51 AM
Would be interested to know which charity Welch is contributing to? Hope he chooses one where his knowledge and new focus can multiply more than just giving away aid
Rex Hammock - 3/28/2005 6:43:07 PM
Thanks, Kevin. Here is the permalink for that post: http://www.rexblog.com/2005/03/27#a6302
martin - 3/28/2005 6:42:18 PM
My sense is this is a man who will go to his grave reading his own press releases believing he is the man his dog thinks he is.

This emperor has no clothes.

Yawn.