What We Love and Hate
Anita Sharpe on Passionate Work
A question I ask nearly everyone I meet for a meal or coffee is this: What specifically do you love and hate about what you do all day? I was struck recently by the answer from a college professor (marketing prof Ken Bernhardt), because it paralleled my own answers almost exactly:
* 'I love impacting people's lives'
* 'I have almost total freedom; I can work on what I want to work on.'
* 'There's a lot of variety in my day.'
* 'Grading -- how do you really decide what's an A- and what's a B+?'
* 'What I call 'administrivia''
Given that there's so much bureaucracy and administrivia out there, someone must like it. Who are these people?