Home > Blog > My New Favorite Thing
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 1:52 PM
My New Favorite Thing
Anita Sharpe on Life

At least 20 years ago, my mother gave me a Crock Pot. As with any gift that seems hopelessly uncool at the time, it went straight to the back of a rarely-used closet. Fortunately, I didn't give it away.

I rediscovered it not long ago and, I have to say, I can't remember an appliance that has had such an impact on my life. There is nothing like walking in the door after a long day and smelling slow-cooked pot roast or Italian vegetable soup. It makes me want to bellow, 'Honey, I'm home.' Now, instead of cooking dinner, I can build a fire and read the mail, just as nature intended.

I long ago took my microwave downstairs to a rarely-used basement kitchen. Life in general may be getting more fast-paced, but I am definitely a slow-food kind of gal.

Human Growth Hormone - 2/24/2005 5:19:50 PM
Growth Hormones HGH Buy Growth Hormone http://www.hghadvisor.com/renewal_hgh.html http://www.hghadvisor.com/hgh_15.html HGH Enhancer HGH Shop Anti Aging HGH http://www.hghadvisor.com/hgh_enhancer.html http://www.hghadvisor.com/hgh_enhancers.html Benefits of HGH
aliza sherman risdahl - 1/23/2005 12:49:58 AM
I was so disappointed when my fiance (now husband) bought me a crock pot for Christmas 2 years ago - I wanted something fun or romantic, not practical! But then the crockpot got me motivated to experiment in the kitchen, something I've avoided all my adult life. Throw in a chicken, pour in some soup, add veggies, voila! I was absolutely amazed that I was finding such an 'old-fashioned' device to be so satisfying.

I've never owned a microwave so didn't move from 'hi-tech' to 'low-tech' kitchen gadget. I take that back. My mom mailed me a microwave a few years ago. I never took it out of the box - just threw a tablecloth over it and made it into an end table.

While the microwave never got any use, the crock pot sure has.
anita - 1/19/2005 5:40:28 PM
All of these recipes sounds great! I'd love to see them/try them if anyone wants to share.
Mark Sicignano - 1/19/2005 5:09:39 PM
Slow food rocks. This past chilly weekend, I bought a whole chicken, covered it in spices, popped it in the oven and roast it for a couple of hours. It made the house smell great, and it's been providing me with lunches for the rest of the week.

I also bought corned beef to stick in the crock pot later in the week.

Marc, pass along that recipe for that Tunisian lamb stew. It's sounds great!
Marc Orcchant - 1/19/2005 4:48:53 PM
Favorite crock pot dishes: green chile stew, posole (red chile), Tunisian lamb stew with egpplant and couscous, and good old corned beef.

And yes, as you might have guessed, I'm from New Mexico where the official state question is 'green or red?'
Dave Orsborn - 1/19/2005 4:12:14 PM
Thanks for giving me the courage to 'come out'. I too love our crock pot. Sundays are family soup days- we all chip in with the chopping, grating, peeling, etc. toss it all in and 6 hours later enjoy heaping bowls of warmth!
Shawn Lea - 1/19/2005 3:18:50 PM
I have always loved my crockpot - especially during our hot, sticky Southern summers when the last thing you want to do is turn on an oven! My favorite recipes for the crockpot are spaghetti sauce, shrimp creole, chili and pork roast. If anyone wants the recipes, just e-mail me!
jennifer - 1/19/2005 2:28:59 PM
It took a year to pull my uncool crock pot - gift from mother-in-law - out of its box. I love it. I use it to make homemade spaghetti sauce. I freeze leftover sauce for easy mid-week meals. No more supermarket sauce for me.

Have kept much loved fashionable orange fast-cooking microwave in prime location to thaw out slow-cooked spaghetti sauce.

Comments: