Home > Blog > I'm Not Alone
Sunday, November 14, 2004 11:08 PM
I'm Not Alone
Kevin Salwen on Culture

The New York Times reports in its Sunday edition what comes as little surprise to me: People are eating cereal for all meals of the day. I am a big cereal-for-dinner guy, especially when I'm on my own. And I've always presumed I'm not alone.

The Times points out that a chain of cereal restaurants called Cereality Cereal Bar and Cafe has begun to pop up, serving more than 30 cereals, toppings from M&Ms to apricots and seven kinds of milk. The waiters and waitresses are called cerealogists and wear pajamas. (My fave part of the article: the woman who eats a 'healthy' cereal for her dinner main course, with Lucky Charms for dessert.)

The Times piece focuses largely on college campuses. But I think the phenomenon goes beyond that. I'm an evening Total Raisin Bran guy. Anyone else a night-time cereal killer?

Molly - 11/18/2004 5:46:06 PM
I've always been a huge cereal fan and often eat a bowl of Rice Chex before bed - it's better than any other sleeping potions!.

Also, when I was a kid, we were only allowed to have sugar cereals at Xmas, so it was always an impossible decision whether to pick Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, or CaptN Crunch. I still treat myself with a box of one of those for special occasions.
Kevin - 11/16/2004 10:43:58 PM
Interesting that a couple of folks have brought up Honey Nut Cheerios. The same article ran with a chart showing that HNC is the 3rd best selling cereal, behind Cheerios and Frosted Flakes. The one that surprised me is the Cinnamon Toast Crunch is #5, (Honey Bunches of Oats is #4 in case you wanted me to fill in the blanks.) I don't know anyone who buys that.
Bob Marovich - 11/16/2004 9:59:31 PM
Hi, Kevin -- Laurel Delaney, who is a big fan of 'Worthwhile,' forwarded your message to me. I am in your court on this, as I could survive on Honey Nut Cheerios morning, noon and night -- and have eaten them at all those times. Plus, Cheerios makes for a good low-fat snack any time of the day. I only wish I'd thought of that clever restaurant idea first!
Kate - 11/16/2004 10:46:40 AM
I've often ended the day with a 'cereal suicide': a mix of a few of my favorites in one bowl for that salty-sweet satisfaction.
Brenda - 11/15/2004 11:04:30 AM
My first day at 'Worthwhile,' and this article was a fine way to start. Yes, I am a cereal-eater. My kids are cereal-eaters too, and since we live in a Stepford Wife neighborhood, it wasn't something I could talk about. What a relief it is to come out of the closet!! I think it has something to do with my cooking 'skills.' :(

Kids' favorite: Cinnamon Life and Honey Nut Cheerios
My favorite: Smart Start - (soy)
Kevin - 11/15/2004 9:55:57 AM
Great line, Leanne. Judging from some of the places I eat, I'm not sure that's a requirement in any restaurant any more. Now, back to my soggy Cinnamon Life.

Leanne - 11/15/2004 7:34:52 AM
Please tell me the waiters and waitresses will have brushed their hair and teeth before coming to work...

Comments: