Home > Blog > American Culture, Wal-Mart Style
Friday, October 29, 2004 5:48 PM
American Culture, Wal-Mart Style
Kevin Salwen on Culture

The new puritanism is once again rearing its head in American commerce. Today's news flash: Wal-Mart has decided against stocking George Carlin's new book, 'When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?' The chain's reason: It's not the kind of book our shoppers would buy.

Sure, Carlin can be profane. And some people undoubtedly will be offended by the cover photo inserting himself into the Last Supper. Moreover, it's entirely the right and privilege of any store to stock any product it chooses. But this sure makes me hope that people buy Carlin's book, either here at Amazon or here at Barnes & Noble. In fact, I just did.

Jory Des Jardins - 11/1/2004 3:57:26 PM
In that case, congratulations to Mr. Carlin and his publisher, they can now sell their book and actually make a profit.
martin - 11/1/2004 9:21:06 AM
Well...did you run out and buy the Marilyn Manson album when WalMart refused to stock it? They've got a track record of this sort of thing. I too am sick of the subjectivity the folks at Wal-Mart but it's their right to do so. Although I seem to be in the minority, I simply refuse to patronize their stores. However if they were to ban stocking Celine Dion's releases I'd reconsider my stance.
eric - 10/30/2004 8:56:04 PM
well, WM is selling it online, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2627886

Dave - 10/30/2004 9:17:18 AM
One word ccomes to mind for me at this moment Kevin: overreaction.

In a month that has seen:

(1) One of the ugliest presidential campaigns in memory, filled with lawyers ready to file suit and countersuit over the results next week,

(2) Musicians outright campaigning for their canndidate of choice, ruining their reps for those who simply wanted to enjoy their artistry,

(3) CBS doing first the fraudulent papers then planning to expose supposedly missing exploisves two days before this messy election,

(4) Osama resurfacing, telling HIS version of lies, lies and more lies - 1982? ROFL.

(5) The economy? Nothing new here... as has been the case since the dot.com bust.

I could go on and on... but everyone has rights, including you and me - and Wal-Mart. You can use the words 'new puritanical' about Wal-Mart like this didn't happen 10 years ago... and I can tell you that you are overreacting... and Wal-Mart can decide to not sell a book. Rights.

Oh, and George Carlin can still make a living selling his now-stale talents! And he probably will.
Troy Worman - 10/30/2004 7:16:43 AM
What I find refreshing about this 'story' is there is no mention of a lawsuit.

Comments: