Inside the Minds of Marketers
Anita Sharpe on Business
The marketing business -- advertising, PR, music, film, etc. -- lives and dies by getting inside the heads of consumers.
But what's on the minds of marketers? Adweek magazine published the results of a poll of 3,106 marketers (55 percent female/45 percent male) in its Sept. 20 issue. Nearly a third said that, 'to be a player in my social set,' you had to have the capacity for 'deep, philosophical' conversations compared with 14% who said you had to be able to talk about sports.
A few other highlights:
* 53% said there are more negative influences in our country than positive.
* 30% said religious beliefs were very important to them, compared with 47% of consumers.
* 45% said the business of image making has become less passionate
* 55% said the business has become 'less ethical'
* And finally, 17% said that advertising is an 'honorable profession' compared with . . . 17% of consumers.