Home > Blog > Overheard in a Coffee Shop
Wednesday, September 15, 2004 2:17 PM
Overheard in a Coffee Shop
Anita Sharpe on Business

A woman is explaining to her friend why she plans to drive 15 hours to go home for Thanksgiving instead of flying: 'The most stressful thing in my life is a non-refundable airline ticket. I just can't stand being tied to specific days and times so I avoid it whenever I can.'

Nearly everyone I know these days makes the four-hour trip between Atlanta and Charlotte or Nashville by car instead of flying. Sure, some of this is due to the post 9-11 hassles. But a lot of it is tied to flexibility.

Who was it who said, 'scratch a problem and find an opportunity?'

HGH - 2/24/2005 9:36:11 PM
HGH Product Pro HGH http://www.hghplanet.com/hgh_product.html
Human Growth Hormone - 2/24/2005 1:51:09 PM
Human Growth Hormone Human Growth Hormone Supplement Growth Hormones HGH http://www.hghadvisor.com/hgh_hormone.html Bovine Growth Hormone Doctor Recommended HGH HGH Shop http://www.hghadvisor.com/buy_growth_hormone.html HGH Sprays HGH 15
Anna - 11/4/2004 4:44:40 PM
When I fly home, I like to fly into the big hub city nearby and drive 3 1/2 hours home. Because I live so far away and in a different region of the country now, by the time I get home I'm already immersed in the landscape again, if not the culture as well. I also identify with the flexibility thing. Every time I push the 'buy' button on the travel Web site, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. What if something changes?!
David - 11/3/2004 9:25:51 AM
Learn to fly. Get a new perspective on the world.
Dave Harkins - 9/15/2004 2:56:17 PM
I think you're on to something. I fly often and find that if the trip is 3 hours or less, it's really easier to drive, event if it's a direct flight. For example, if I were flying to Atlanta from my home in Charlotte, I'd have to be at the airport about 1 1/2 hours prior, flight time is about 1 hour (assuming no delays), 1/2 hour to get out of the airport, and 1/2 hour to get into the city from the airport. Total 3 1/2 hours, again not including delays. Much longer if I weren't in a hub and have to connect somewhere.

When I drive that distance instead of flying, it's more so for 'think-time' than for flexibility, though.

Comments: