Home > Blog > In Case You Missed it. . .
Monday, September 13, 2004 11:05 AM
In Case You Missed it. . .
Anita Sharpe on Money

Provocative, prescient column by Janet Kidd Stewart in yesterday's Chicago Tribune, New York Newsday, Baltimore Sun and a bunch of other papers offering more proof that 'our productivity-focused economic model has peaked.'

We think the column is brilliant -- and not just because it talks about the debut of Worthwhile Magazine .

Laurel Delaney - 9/16/2004 11:16:18 AM
I am thrilled to learn in Janet Kidd Stewart's magnificent Chicago Tribune column, 'Prosperity Tastes Great, But It's Less Fulfilling' (9/12/04), that Anita and Kevin have started a magazine that focuses on finding passionate work! For once, we will be able to enjoy a publication that sounds insanely inspiring and allows us to be true to ourselves.

And it pleases me even more to see Kevin behind this revolution because he was one of the top business journalists at the Wall Street Journal for a number of years.

I also look at the significance that Tom Peters has jumped on board as a contributing author on this new surprise launch which says it all, because he was a staunch supporter of Fast Company before it got out of the starting gate and look whatâ?™s happened with that genius magazine!

To Anita and Kevin and all the rest of the folks at Worthwhile magazine, you have my unwavering support (and subscription) and I wish you all the success in the world.

Laurel Delaney
ldelaney@globetrade.com

Kevin Salwen - 9/14/2004 11:10:13 AM
I need to weigh in on this because I think we've gotten a bit far afield. As one of the founders of Worthwhile, I want to make sure that nothing we are doing within the pages of the magazine or the pixels of this site (if I can torture a metaphor) is designed to be the least bit exclusionary. We would LOVE nothing more than for people of all income levels to be able find their most passionate work. Our magazine is designed to give people the tools, offer role models, provide inspiration, etc. for people to do that. Go find the work you love!
Mindwalker - 9/14/2004 9:49:57 AM
It's amazing how one word can change everything. Affluent. It has so many connotations, both negative and positive. Personally, I'm hoping to achieve balance rather than affluence. *smile*

So that's the question: Why do people react negatively to the word and concept of 'affluence'?

On a different note...

I've sent in two e-mails asking if my magazine subscription was confirmed after I accidentally signed up too early. There has never been a reply. Where's the love? :)

Sorry to have to ask this publicly, can you please reply with confirmation that you have received my subscription order and that I will get the first issue with everyone else. I know you guys are busy with prepping for issue #2 already, but a little customer TLC wouldn't hurt, either. *grin*
anita - 9/14/2004 8:15:40 AM
Sam -- Point well taken. The problem is, all magazines have to provide a demographic for their media kits (and, of course, you have to have that to stay in business.) As I noted earlier, we used roughly the same figure as Fast Company. Even Utne Reader (if you're familiar with that magazine) boasts of an affluent, educated readership. I think most readers of these kinds of magazines are pretty smart and advertisers like that. If we didn't sell advertising, we would not be long for this world.
sam - 9/13/2004 11:11:31 PM
'think worth magazine for the affluent', the affluent? that makes me cringe…. the $125k demographic is definitely a bit ironic with the things i have read on your site so far. i do enjoy the topics and articles but i feel there should be no demographic to become a 'member' of the secret society 'how can i do something worthwhile with my life'. Hate to say it but i hope you and the staff didn't help come up with that demographic...the whole thing is a bit sick and i will definitely not be participating in this senseless, dogmatic BS. By the way, I am in the demographic, if that makes my argument any more valid?? Or I could be a one of those oh so hardworking, intelligent people such as that genius paris Hilton. Please, oh please, have your press kit thrown away and concentrate on the while in worth not the worth. Is that not the point? Know they recover a bit in the article but I would not be calling that ‘brilliant’. As your other ‘customer’ pointed out , I think you should rework or scrap the talk of demographic. As you marketing folk probably know for every 1 customer that complains there are 26 that never say a word and just go away so I hope you don’t get defensive but rather figure out why a person such as me, your customer is vehemently pounding away at my keyboard in utter dismay. I love your idea, I want the magazine but come on, give us some respect here.
Jory Des Jardins - 9/13/2004 2:34:16 PM
Now that's some great pre-pub press! The article raises some interesting questions around what it will take to get people to stop working for at least a moment to read. So far, combining compelling stories that pertain to business and sneak in more about quality of life is a smart formula.

I'll be looking for more stories on how people have made the leap. People wanting more meaining in their lives will want a blueprint.

anita - 9/13/2004 1:49:56 PM
First, thanks for subscribing! And let us know what you think when you get the first issue.

That income figure is actually a household -- not individual -- number based on subscribers to magazines such as Fast Company.

But it will be interesting to see the ultimate demographics. It's interesting to us that 90% of white-collar workers don't read business magazines. So if we attract a chunk of those people -- as we expect -- our demographics will likely be somewhat different from publications like Fast Company.
curious - 9/13/2004 1:41:59 PM
'A national magazine called Worthwhile debuts next month. Aimed at 25- to 55-year-old men and women making at least $125,000 a year, its motto is 'Purpose, Passion, Profit.' Think Worth magazine for the affluent who work for a living.'

Really? I've already subscribed to the magazine, I miss that salary by a nifty margin, but no matter what my wage I've always wanted to 'find fulfillment in work.' I wonder: how many of your readers will defy your intended demographic?

Comments: