Home > Blog > Here Come the Jobs
Friday, May 07, 2004 4:02 PM
Here Come the Jobs
Kevin Salwen on Business

The government jobs report out today shows that the U.S. added 288,000 new jobs in April. I can see it in so many places: the Dunkin' Donuts in our office building posting a new Help Wanted sign; the guy I had lunch with today hunting to fill his 3 white-collar job openings; the independent contractors we deal with having clients banging on their doors again. The 'jobless recovery' is starting to demand bodies.

Human Growth Hormone - 2/24/2005 3:53:01 PM
Human Growth Hormone HGH Hormone HGH Enhancer http://www.hghadvisor.com/
Tom - 5/10/2004 4:35:33 PM
Meanwhile, in Upstate NY, unemployment actually rose, and that's not ignoring the number of people who've just given up.

I think there are more reasons to be angry now than in the past. It used to be the 'cure' for being laid off is retrain yourself for the next wave of job skills. Now, there is no obvious next wave. People with graduate degrees are having their jobs outsourced and there's literally no place to go but down.
Kevin - 5/10/2004 2:20:39 PM
Ann and Fred reflect, if I'm reading them right, a piece of the real anger we're seeing in the workplace. I understand how angry people are -- outsourcing being just the latest reason. But I'm wondering: Have things changed to make this worse or has the workplace always had its share of reasons to be angry?
Fred Boness - 5/9/2004 10:31:26 PM
I start work tomorrow modifying complex automation software for a customer upgrading equipment.

The job should last about two days.
Ann - 5/8/2004 2:18:38 PM
Yeah, that's just great. I can go from making $20/hour doing software development with insurance to making $10/hour selling plus-size clothing with no insurance! Count me in!
Alex - 5/7/2004 11:16:23 PM
I have also noticed a definite uptick in 'Help Wanted' signs in many of the shops here in downtown Philadelphia - from zero a year ago to about every tenth store (my guess). It is a promising start, more needs to be done!
Alex - 5/7/2004 11:15:53 PM