Home > Blog > Airport blues
Friday, March 26, 2004 1:33 AM
Airport blues
David Weinberger on Life

Two thoughts as I wait for yet another late departure of an America West plane:

1. Their tagline ought to be 'See you later!' - This flight is on time 20% of the time, according to my Expedia receipt.

2. Things you will never hear on an America West flight: 'I'm just stuffed! Care to finish my pretzels?' - The single item of food they serve on a 5 hour flight is a bag of pretzels that's marked as weighing 0.42 ounces. Mmmm.

Shawn - 4/6/2004 10:33:43 AM
Living in Phoenix, the temptation to fly AWA is great. I flew to Atlanta last week and am proud to report that for me AWA is 10 for 10, all 10 departures I have had with them have been late by at least 20 minutes. The outbound flight was late because the 'Arizona heat messed up one of the navigational devices, which has to be replaced.' The return flight was late for no explained reason. I have sat on the tarmac while tires have been changed, on a full flight that was delayed because they could not find a replacement for a wet seat cushion, because of a last minute crew change, etc. Bottom line, I don't have confidence in them. If I can get there on Southwest then I will, they have at least set manageable expectations.
Kevin Salwen - 4/5/2004 2:56:42 PM
Lee hit on one of my huge pet peeves. When I'm flying, I don't care about our route unless there's another plane there -- and then those times they tell me the coordinates, ooh baby.
Lee Wilder - 4/5/2004 2:18:50 PM
Why do some pilots insist on giving the passengers a running commentary of what is 30,000 feet below? Whoa! We are over Scranton (for passengers on the right side of the plane)??? I think I'll get off right here and look up that old classmate. For most flights, there are only 2 relevant points of interest: the airport of departure and the airport of arrival.
David Weinberger - 4/5/2004 9:41:20 AM
And today a report came out that said that the minor airlines beat the majors in the four areas of quality. including on time arrivals, baggage handling, and saying 'Buh bye' like they aren't glad to get rid of you.
Marc Orchant - 4/5/2004 8:17:13 AM
America's Worst - they earn the name every day. Even Southwest feeds you better - I think you get at least full ounce of nourishment for the body. And of course, a full meal for the part of your brain that wants/needs to know that someone actually might care about your experience ;^)

Comments: